I’ve been on a bit of a bender this year listening to sparse, cracked and echoey female folk/strum in the SIBYLLE BAIER / VASHTI BUNYAN mode, and my favorite discovery this side of MAXINE FUNKE is my most recent one – JULIE BYRNE.
Byrne is actively recording and touring, like, now. She’s the most Baier-like of them all, while retaining her own minimalist approach to ghostly closet folk, veering off into non-guitar experimental pieces at times as well. Start with the semi-recent 45 “Melting Grid” and the LP “Rooms With Walls and Windows” and go from there.
When I resuscitate Dynamite Hemorrhage Radio (soon) I’ll be playing Ms. Byrne and some of her progenitors. Until then – please listen here.
New dose of frantic punk panic, spectral avant-folk, reissue mania and sideways sub-underground rock and roll of many stripes. It’s Dynamite Hemorrhage #55, back after a 5-week absence.
Download Dynamite Hemorrhage #55 here.
Stream or download the show on SoundCloud here.
Stream the show on MixCloud here.
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
Here’s what you’ll hear over the course of 74 minutes:
- PINK SECTION – Midsummer NY
- URANIUM CLUB – The Collector
- ANGRY ANGLES – Apparent/Transparent
- YAKKS – Sonja is a Racist
- SPRAY PAINT – Pro Knife
- ZODIAC KILLERS – Nazi Interrogation
- MARS – Puerto Rican Ghost
- THE SHIFTERS – Tel Aviv
- SPK – Contact
- SIX IMPOSSIBLE THINGS – Moderation
- WORLD OF POOH – Squirm Test
- ERASE ERRATA – My Life In Shadows
- BRONCS – Tele-K-Killing
- BIZARROS – Nova
- SHOCK – New Wave Rock
- SOCK PUPPETS – I Blame Gravity
- LUNG LEG – Theme Park
- WHITE FENCE – Like That
- JOANNE ROBERTSON – Halls
- MAXINE FUNKE – Secondhand Store
- MYRIAM GENDRON – Bric-a-Brac
- WEYES BLOOD – Bad Magic
- LITTLE CUTS – Bishop Eyes
Some past shows: