Awesome 1981 primal pound from Australia’s THE MOODISTS, treading very much in Scientists/Birthday Party territory without the screech of the former and the chaos of the latter.
“I Should Have Been There” is the B-side to their first 45, which came out on Au-Go-Go back when the world was young.
I made this compilation for my main blog The Hedonist Jive back in May of this year, and figured you folks might want to take a crack at hearing and downloading it.
It’s called “Hedonist Jive Post-Punk Blowout” (clever, hunh?) and spans the proverbial gamut from aggressive, limber noise; female-vocal art-thump; left-of-center punk rock; and early British DIY (including that blog’s namesake song from The Midnight Circus). Some of these songs have been favorites of mine since I was a wee pup; other were only discovered in the past decade of so. All date from 1978 to about 1983 and fit the already loose “postpunk” category very loosely.
There are two ways to enjoy this playlist – download here and “own” the mp3s I’ve carefully handpicked for ya, or go over to the playlist I made on 8Tracks, and listen to it streaming on your iPhone, Android devices or your computer. Same songs both ways.
Download The Hedonist Jive Post-Punk Blowout.
HEDONIST JIVE POST-PUNK BLOWOUT
1. SPK – Contact
2. DESPERATE BICYCLES – Smokescreen
3. VIRGIN PRUNES – Twenty Tens (I’ve Been Smoking All Night)
4. BUSH TETRAS – Too Many Creeps
5. 2x4s – Zipperheads
6. THE POP GROUP – 3:38
7. THE MISFITS – Cough/Cool
8. AU PAIRS – Set Up
9. WIRE – Outdoor Miner
10. THE FLOWERS – After Dark
11. ½ JAPANESE – Girl Athletes
12. SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – Trophy
13. NOH MERCY – Caucasian Guilt
14. FLIPPER – Ha Ha Ha
15. SUBURBAN WIVES CLUB – Guru Eye
16. THE HOMOSEXUALS – Technique Street
17. THE BIRTHDAY PARTY – Jennifer’s Veil
18. MIDNIGHT CIRCUS – The Hedonist Jive
19. THE GORDONS – Future Shock
20. PYLON – Cool
21. THE FALL – Eat Y’Self Fitter
22. SARA GOES POP – Arab o Habab of Arabia
23. REMA REMA – Rema Rema
24. TEDDY & THE FRAT GIRLS – I Owe It To The Girls
25. TUXEDOMOON – No Tears