It’s not easy curating a definitive selection of the best sub-underground, late 70s UK 45s and comp tracks from the heyday of do-it-yourself record making, but I’ve put together a start. I’ve culled my newest 8Tracks mix, “SUB-UNDERGROUND UK DIY” from multiple sources: the “Instant Pop Classics” comps, various internet downloads, “Messthetics” and my own collection. Just like the compilation I posted yesterday of female-fronted riot grrl/garage punk, it’s available right now to listen to on computers, smartphones and tablets.
Outside of the fairly-well-known (such as it is) DIY pioneers like The Desperate Bicycles and Animals & Men, most acts on here are ultra-obscure and maybe only lasted for one 45 or a couple of compilation tracks, sometimes only on cassette. 23 tracks in all. Most given to that tinny, experimental, slipshod and faraway sound that characterizes the best of the best of this posthumously-defined genre.
Come listen to "SUB-UNDERGROUND UK DIY" here.
- DESPERATE BICYCLES – Smokescreen
- ANIMALS & MEN – Don’t Misbehave In The New Age
- MIDNIGHT CIRCUS – The Hedonist Jive
- I JOG & THE TRACKSUITS – Redbox
- DEVIL DYKES – Fruitless
- BEYOND THE IMPLODE – Lassitude
- STEVE TREATMENT – Danger Zone
- METROPAK – OK Let’s Go
- SCISSOR FITS – I Don’t Want To Work For British Airways
- BONA DISH – Mutation
- DESPERATE BICYCLES – The Medium Was Tedium
- ANOREXIA – I’m a Square
- DANNY & THE DRESSMAKERS – Don’t Make Another Bass Guitar Mr. Rickenbacker
- THE PETTICOATS – Normal
- REFLECTIONS – 4 Countries
- SCRITTI POLITTI – Is & Ought The Western World
- SUBVERSE – Chance Romance
- TRONICS – Shark Fucks
- BEARZ – She’s My Girl
- ANOREXIA – Pets
- BASE – One Way Girl
- GERRY & THE HOLOGRAMS – Gerry & The Holograms
- WAVIS O’SHAVE – Mauve Shoes Are Awful
I put this out there several years ago – thought I’d re-blog it here in case you’re interested.