“It had this latent ignorant mentality, like fanzines used to be, like Touch & Go and other fanzines, purposely dumb, stupid and idiotic, but funny. So that’s where it came out of…”
YAK’UZ’Å, #6 1994 (cover) DAVE MCGURGAN, Editor/Publisher
TOM LAX/MAC SUTHERLAND INTERVIEW by CHRIS RICE (PART 1 of 3)
- In recognition of Tom Lax’s sixth or seventh visit to Brian Turner’s WFMU radio show on Tuesday 8/26/14, we launch a celebration of Siltbreeze with what may be the earliest interview on record: Tom and Mac Sutherland, 1994 style.
- From the WFMU BT Express: Tuesday, 8/26/14, 3pm – 6pm: Guest DJ Tom Lax from Siltbreeze Records “Another great annual visit from Siltbreeze Records honcho Tom Lax, bringing yet more esoteric, uncategorizable and otherworldly slabs of wax to confound even the most obscuro-hound WFMU listeners. Even after several years of guest DJ sessions, we’ve barely scratched the surface of the fabulous motherlode of DIY recordings Tom has in the vaults; expect high grade entertainment, and of course, uploaded photos on the playlist page of the great cover art from the wax he brings.”
- Of Mac Sutherland, it is written: "Rest in peace malcolm “mac” sutherland, tom’s 2nd in command, and the heart and soul of 90’s siltbreeze action. i saw him almost every day in the 90’s and he always made me smile. he was funny and cranky and one of a kind. i worked right below siltbreeze HQ for years and i always liked getting a visit from mac or his roommate ellen. troo philly peeps!” ― scott seward, Saturday, 26 January 2013 17:33
- 2014 photo ’Tom Lax and Friend Who Loves Those Who Love Wawa’ courtesy of tiffanyyoon.
- Tiffany Yoon? She drums for amandaxband, who just issued a record on…Siltbreeze! BUY IT HERE
- There’s no shortage of info about Siltbreeze’s history on the internet. If you want the long view, try this detailed 2006 Tom Lax interview/overview by Scott Soriano at Terminal Boredom.
- 3/15/06 interview/overview by Brian Howard at Philadelphia City Paper: “It had never been Lax’s plan to start a label; photocopying 150 issues of a fanzine and pressing 1,500 vinyl records are quite different propositions. Lax’s grandmother had taken out an $800 life insurance policy on him, a policy he had the option keeping or cashing in. ‘That,’ says Lax, ‘is how I started Siltbreeze’.”
- VICE? VICE. 7/23/08 Any bands you wished you’d never even emailed back and were shitheads to deal with? TJ: “Probably. To be honest, I can’t remember…No one’s really a problem and everybody is pretty easy to deal with this go-round. Local bands always have a tendency to be problematic, but I solved that issue by not having any. Again! Yet!”
- [2014-uh-oh-local-bands-coming-for-you-update: see amandaxband above and wooderylove and faroutfangtooth]
- Believe it: Siltbreeze/Image Scavengers at The Institute of Contemporary Art – University of Pennsylvania ran from 4/30/14 to 5/11/14!
- updated siltbreezerecords.com with handsomely redone shop!
- cobwebbed siltblog – hundreds of golden posts, however, and cave parlor of Roland Woodbe. Educate thyself!