After a few false starts, I’ve decided to put together a blog and podcast devoted to raw 20th century ethnic music from around the world, primarily from old 78rpm records, with some room allowed for recordings up into the 1970s. I threw together the first podcast last night, and I figure it’s a good time to “launch” the thing now.
The whole purpose for the new Otherworldly and Gone blog is to provide a home for the Otherworldly and Gone podcast, and the first of what will hopefully be many podcasts is now available for download or streaming.
This first edition of the OTHERWORLDLY AND GONE podcast is an hour-long blast of 78rpm tunes from the nether regions of the world – Greece, Kenya, Cuba, Bulgaria, Morocco, Sweden and Azerbaijan among them. I call this one “Curating the Curators” because it’s a culling and selection from some of the best reissues of the past two decades, all lovingly put together by some of the most rabid and frothing ethnic music collectors on the planet.
Here’s how you can listen!
Download “Otherworldly and Gone #1 – Curating the Curators” here. (follow link, then download on that page)
Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
Stream the SoundCloud version (you can also download it there).
Stream the MixCloud version.
1. A KOSTIS – Dertlidikos Horos / V/A, Greek Rhapsody – Instrumental Music From Greece 1905-1956 / Dust-to-Digital
2. SPYROS PERISTERIS – Tatavliano Hasapiko / V/A, Greek Rhapsody – Instrumental Music From Greece 1905-1956 / Dust-to-Digital
3. YIORGOS KATSAROS – Erchome Tico Tico Tico (I Creep Along The Walls) / V/A, Mortika – Rare Vintage Recordings from the Greek Underworld / Arko
4. MOHAMED BERGAM – Zine Mlih (Sublime Beauty) / V/A, Kassidat – Raw 45s from Morocco / Dust-to-Digital
5. KARLO – Gankino / V/A, Songs of the Crooked Dance – Early Bulgarian Traditional Music, 1927-42 / Yazoo
6. GRUPO DE LA ALEGRIA – El Tambor de la Alegria / V/A, Hot Women – Women Singers From The Torried Regions / Kein & Aber Records
7. UKRAINSKA ORCHESTRA PAWLA HUMENIUKA – Ukrainske Wesilla W Ameryci, Pt. 1 (Ukrainian Wedding in America) / V/A, Aimer et Perde / Tompkins Square Records
8. UKRAINSKA ORCHESTRA PAWLA HUMENIUKA – Ukrainske Wesilla W Ameryci, Pt. 2 (Ukrainian Wedding in America) / V/A, Aimer et Perde / Tompkins Square Records
9. MARIKA PAPAGIKA – Manaki Mou / The Further The Flame, The Worse It Burns Me / Mississippi /Canary Records
10. TEMIUV DAMAROV – Jeirany / Excavated Shellac Blog, February 4th, 2008 / Excavated Shellac
11. STONIK AND KIPRONO – Molido Kiruk-Yuk / V/A, Opika Pende / Dust-to-Digital Records
12. EMMANUELE CILIA – L’Istorja ta’Arturo u Maria, Part 1 / V/A, Malta’s Lost Voices / Filfla Records
13. NICK HALIAS – Mperto Pogonisio (Berat From Pogoni) / V/A, Five Years Married and Other Laments / Angry Mom Records
14. CHRISTER FALKENSTROM – Baklandets Vackra Maja / V/A, Black Mirror / Dust-to-Digital Records